Singaraja. Northern capital Bali
Singaraja is a city on the northern coast of the island of Bali. It is the administrative center of the Buleleng Regency.
The word "Singaraja" consists of two parts - "singa" (lion) and "raja" (king). So it means lion king. This was the nickname of Rajah Pandji Sakti, who ruled the Buleleng Regency in the early 17th century.
Local residents often refer to Singaraja as "Buleleng" after the name of the regency where it is located.
The history of development in northern Bali spans several millennia. It all began with visits to this area by sailors and merchants from the Persian Gulf countries, India, and China.
According to excavations, ancient settlements appeared in northern Bali around 400 BCE. The first inhabitants of the villages were hunters, fishermen, and farmers who grew rice.
The official founding date of Singaraja is considered to be March 30, 1604. The founder of the city was Rajah Anak Agung Pandji Sakti. The count starts from the establishment of the royal palace, Puri Agung Buleleng.
Once the Dutch established control over Bali in 1848, Singaraja with its strategically located port became the administrative center of the Dutch colony on the island of Bali and the Lesser Sunda Islands.
Thirteen years after the proclamation of Indonesian Independence, specifically in 1968, the capital of Bali was relocated to Denpasar in the south of the island.
Prior to the opening of the Ngurah Rai International Airport in Denpasar in the 1970s, Singaraja served as the gateway for tourists arriving in Bali. Cruise ships with island visitors docked at the port of the northern capital.
The main evidence of Singaraja's multicultural heritage that has been preserved to this day includes the Chinese temple, the Arab Quarter (Kampung Arab), and the Bugis Quarter (Kampong Bugis). The city's significant status is also reflected in its wide boulevards.
The city center is located at the intersection of Gajah Mada Street (Jalan Gajah Mada) and General Ahmad Yani Street (Jalan Jend Ahmad Yani).