KITAP/ITAP (KITAP/ITAP) - permanent residence permit

Фото: Scott Graham by Unsplash
ITAP (KITAP) is a permanent residency permit for foreigners residing in Indonesia, valid for five years.
Upon the first renewal, you can apply for subsequent lifelong renewals. However, you will still need to report to the immigration office every two years to renew your MERP (Multiple Entry and Exit Permit), and every five years, your sponsor's status will be reviewed.
ITAP stands for "Izin Tinggal Tetap," which means "Permanent Stay Permit."
Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas - The Limited Stay Permit Card is the card issued by immigration after obtaining ITAP. It used to be issued as a plastic card, but now it is issued as a file that you can print yourself.
You cannot immediately obtain ITAP; you first need to get an ITAS visa.
With ITAP, you will also have to pay for a 2-year MERP (Multiple Entry and Exit Permit), with an official cost of 1,750,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
Once you have ITAP, you can obtain a five-year driver's license and open bank accounts, credit cards, and loans in Indonesia.

Who can apply for ITAP?

ITAP can be granted to:
  • Spouses of Indonesian citizens who have been married for 2 years and have held an ITAS for 3 consecutive years. If the spouses have been married for more than 10 years, ITAP is valid for a lifetime, even in the event of a divorce between the expatriate and the Indonesian spouse.
  • Foreign investors or majority shareholders of PT / PMA companies. If the position is at the managerial level rather than director or commissioner of the company, this foreign employee is not eligible for ITAP.
  • High-ranking employees of Indonesian companies (typically directors or commissioners).
  • Retirees (aged 55 and older).
  • Former Indonesian citizens who wish to regain their Indonesian citizenship.

Legislative basis for ITAP (KITAP)

As for ITAP, the two main articles of Law No. 6 of 2011 on immigration regulate this residence permit:
1. Article 54
(1) Permanent stay permits can be granted to:
a. Foreign citizens with Temporary Stay Permits as religious clerics/missionaries, foreign workers, investors, or retirees.
b. Family members in mixed marriages.
c. Husbands, wives, and/or children of foreign citizens with Permanent Stay Permits.
d. Foreign citizens who are former Indonesian citizens or held dual citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia and another country.
2. Article 60
For applicants, as provided in Article 54 paragraph a, Permanent Stay Permits are granted after the applicant has stayed in the country for 3 (three) consecutive years and signed an Integration Statement to the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.
Article 60 implies that ITAS (Temporary Stay Permit) can be converted into ITAP (Permanent Stay Permit), and such a change of status may be granted upon the foreigner's request, provided that they have already stayed in Indonesia for a minimum of three full consecutive years from the date of issuance of their ITAS.
3. Article 59 - Extensions
(1) Permanent stay permits are granted for a period of 5 (five) years and can be extended indefinitely if the permit has not been annulled.
(2) Holders of Permanent Stay Permits for an indefinite period, as provided in paragraph (1), must report to the Immigration office every 5 (five) years and are not subject to fees.

Categories of ITAS owners who may qualify for ITAP issuance

ITAP (KITAP) in Indonesia can be granted to the following categories of individuals:
  1. Investors
  2. Rare foreign experts
  3. Top managers of foreign companies
  4. Foreign religious figures with religious duties
  5. Foreign spouse joining an Indonesian husband or wife
  6. Legitimate child holding a foreign passport joining an Indonesian parent
  7. Foreign spouse of a foreigner holding ITAP
  8. Unmarried legitimate foreign child (under 18 years) joining a foreign father/mother who holds ITAP.
  9. Former Indonesian citizen wishing to reinstate Indonesian citizenship in accordance with Law No. 12/2006 on Citizenship
  10. Foreign retirees
However, belonging to one of the aforementioned categories may not be sufficient. In paragraph (3), it is stated that the change of status (from ITAS to ITAP) should take into account the benefits that this foreigner brings to the nation in terms of national development and should consider human aspects.
If the change of status is approved, the applicant is granted ITAP, which allows them to stay in Indonesia for five years.


The new fee rates associated with ITAP were established with PP No. 45/2016 and PP No. 28/2019 along with their accompanying lists of charges. The expenses for ITAP are as follows:
  • Non-electronic ITAP for 5 years (ITAP non elektronik) - 5,000,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
  • Electronic ITAP (E-ITAP) for 5 years - 3,700,000 Indonesian Rupiah. (Which type to obtain, from the two options listed above, depends on what is available at the Immigration office in a specific region.)
  • Renewal of non-electronic ITAP for an unlimited period - 10,000,000 Indonesian Rupiah (for the first renewal for an unlimited period).
  • Renewal of electronic ITAP (E-ITAP) for an unlimited period - 10,200,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
  • Replacement of a valid 5-year non-electronic ITAP due to damage/loss - 1,500,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
  • Replacement of a valid 5-year electronic ITAP (E-ITAP) due to damage/loss - 1,700,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
  • Replacement of an unlimited period non-electronic ITAP due to damage/loss - 3,000,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
  • Replacement of an unlimited period electronic ITAP (E-ITAP) due to damage/loss - 3,200,000 Indonesian Rupiah.
According to Immigration Law Article 59 paragraph (2): Holders of unlimited period ITAP are required to report to the Immigration office every 5 years and are not subject to any fees during this reporting."
Please note that the fees mentioned here are subject to change and should be verified with the Indonesian immigration authorities for the most up-to-date information.

Documents required to submit an ITAP application from the company

From the sponsoring company:
  1. Integration Statement
  2. Company Registration Certificate and License
  3. Annual Report of Foreign Employees (WLK)
  4. Foreign Manpower Utilization Plan (RPTKA)
  5. DPKK Tax Payment - Proof of payment for the first year amounting to $1,200
  6. Work Permit (IMTA)
  7. Approval from the relevant Ministry for the company
  8. Company Tax Identification Number (NPWP) and Tax Identification Number for the HR Director
From the applicant:
  1. Original passport and a copy
  2. Copy of KTP WNA (Temporary Stay Permit Card for Foreigners), ITAS (Limited Stay Permit), IMTA (Work Permit), and SKTT (Certificate of Registration for Foreigners) for the last 3 years
  3. Form 24 (issued by the immigration office)
  4. Form 27 (issued by the immigration office)
Messages will appear here soon.
You can add one right now!